Sunday, March 15, 2009

Tastes like winter

Not exactly on thursday, this post, pardon me for the delay.

On to the packages!
The assignment was to design a box for pastilles by the name Routa. Routa is a finnish word for frost, the kind that freezes the ground. All we had to work with was the name, some compulsory information that the package must hold, the manufacturer should be Fazer (and thus their logo should be included) and that the box itself should be the size of a Fazer Salmiakki -box. What kind of pastilles the package would hold - that was for us to decide.


(Sorry for the crappy quality of the picture - I took it with my cellphone.)
Here is my take on Routa. I was quite sure that the first impression for most people would be that these pastilles should be cough drops, as many such pastilles in Finland, at least, are given a very breezy image for their throat and voice clearing qualities. I wanted them to be something different - I associated Routa with certain clarity and intensity of the flavour, and most of all, Finland. So I chose very finnish flavours - blueberry, cranberry and cloudberry - and tried to keep the breeze and snowstorms to the minimum, without forgetting the origins of the name.

I also wanted to keep the packaging quite simple, with few colours and few elements. The logo itself was fun to design, and I think I succeeded in keeping it simple, yet including the qualities of the name. With the intense and sort of delicious, bright colouring on the berries I wanted to bring out the intense, sweet and delicious taste of the pastilles.

I got very good feedback on this and feel quite happy with the outcome, myself. :)

Oh, and on a sidenote - we also had to construct the packages ourselves. I bought a box of Fazer Salmiakki -pastilles and tore it apart, measured it, then proceeded to draw it in Illustrator. Then after a couple of tries on the constructing part I added the layout on the construction, then printed it on carton and cut it out and constructed the boxes using a utility knife, ruler, an ordinary blunt knife (the kind of utensil you use for eating, this time for creasing), and two-sided sticky tape. One of the criteria when assessing our packages was that the box should be well-constructed - it should open, close and stand upright without toppling over or leaning to side or anything.

The course was fun and I'm hoping we get to design more packaging at school in the future :D


As an added bonus - a friend of mine is going to Japan as an exchange student for a year, so our class prepared a little booklet for her to remember us while she's there. It included problems and things to do, such as crosswords and sudokus, as well as poems and, naturally, drawings. This was a page I did for the booklet - it actually doesn't look that much like the Iriomote cat, but it's the thought that counts, eh? On the other side was a short description of the species.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Riisa said...

Thank your for the booklet, it really was a nice thought of all of you. And even if the cat didn't look like natural iriomote cat, it really looks like the one you have drawn, and that's the main thing. I like it. ^^